The Angolan richest businesswoman Isabel dos Santos is a suspect of corruption in Angola and Portugal. The billionaire businesswoman says the plan of possible issuing an international warrant arrest is “unjustified”. But she is ready to cooperate when investigations starts.
On Thursday, the country’s attorney general Helder Pitta Gros said Luanda, who works with Portugal, was contemplating the possibility of issuing an arrest warrant.
Dos Santos who is 47 years of age is described by the Forbes as the top wealthiest woman in Africa. She is accused of diverting billions of dollars from state companies. The deals which happened during her father Jose Eduardo dos Santos’s four decade rule of the Angolan rich oil mines.
Isabel response on the accusation
Isabel on Friday posted on her Facebook account stressing her readiness to cooperate with the Angolan and Portuguese courts. She reassures that her lawyers will take on the allegations and pretty sure to win. So far she has not received any specific request from the court.
“So the intention by the attorney general’s office to issue an international arrest warrant is manifestly unjustified,”
she said in the post.
She has powerfully denied the accusations, terming them as “a coordinated political attack” devised by the Angolan government.
Other court orders
Previously, the top businesswoman has for sometimes received court orders. For instance, last December where the country’s civil court issued a restriction order to freeze all her assets. This order was part of the crackdown on corruption deals by the current Angolan President Joao Lourenco.
Barely a month later and after investigating a trove of more than 700,000 leaked files, the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) also accused her of looting state coffers.
Portuguese court consequently froze her assets, where she has invested mainly in banking and telecommunications in the country.