All 166 people abducted during last month’s attack on Kurmin Wali village and its churches in Kaduna State, northern Nigeria, have been released, according to the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), though the federal government has yet to formally confirm the development.
CAN’s northern chairman, Reverend John Hayab, said on Thursday that every worshipper taken during the attack had returned home. He did not disclose how their release was secured or whether any ransom was paid, Reuters reported.
The CAN leader in Kaduna State, Reverend Caleb Maaji, also confirmed the release, saying he had just returned from the Kaduna Government House, where the governor was expected to receive the freed worshippers.
“The stage is set for them to be brought. His Excellency will meet with them. This is a result of the prayers we have offered,” Maaji said.
Nigerian government officials have not publicly commented on the full release. However, local media quoted Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani as confirming that 82 of the abducted villagers had returned.
The abductions took place on January 18, when gunmen, locally referred to as bandits, stormed Kurmin Wali in large numbers, armed with AK-47 rifles. Residents told Al Jazeera the attackers broke into homes and three churches, forcing people outside before taking them into the surrounding forest.
In total, 177 people were abducted during the raid, though 11 later managed to escape.
Kaduna State officials initially denied that an attack had taken place. Two days later, authorities acknowledged that an abduction had occurred and pledged to work toward securing the villagers’ release.
At the time, the village chief told Al Jazeera that the kidnappers accused the community of seizing 10 motorcycles they had hidden in the bush and demanded their return as a condition for freeing the captives.
The attack in Kurmin Wali is the latest in a series of mass kidnappings that have intensified pressure on Nigeria’s government over security failures. The country has also faced criticism from U.S. President Donald Trump, who has accused Nigeria of failing to protect Christians.
In response, U.S. forces carried out strikes on what they described as “terrorist” targets on December 25. Nigerian authorities say they are working with Washington to improve security and deny claims of systematic persecution of Christians.
